Frequently Asked Questions
Below are a selection of the most frequently asked questions and their answers.
What are the rules of Gym Etiquette?
Please remember that we are guests in the gyms that we practice and play in. Schools can, and do, report unacceptable behaviour to the City (our booking agent for our gyms times). Following are some guidelines to ensure we can retain our good standing with the City’s gym bookings department.
- Stick to the gym schedule (do not come extra early, 5-10 min. is acceptable, or stay late)
- If there is another Southwest team playing after you, please ensure they have gained access before you leave (doors are often locked at the schools and our booking may cover several teams)
- Do not allow any food or drink to enter the gym (this includes coffee)
- Remove all dirty footwear and only wear court shoes in the gyms
- Restrict you and your children’s access to the gym only, do not allow children to run around the school
- Show kindness and courtesy to the custodians
- Report any issues to SW Basketball so we can resolve them, do not contact the school or City directly
How do I register?
Visit our Registration page to learn more about division ages, fees, and to access the online registration website.
Do I need to come to the “In-Person” registration night?
NO: There is no more “In-Person” registration as we have moved to online registration.
How do I get involved in coaching?
Please use the volunteer section of your child’s registration to indicate that you would like to volunteer for coaching. If you do not have a child in the program, or need to contact us regarding coaching, please email email@example.com
Can my child play up a division?
You can apply to move up, but we cannot guarantee a spot. Our policy is that if a division fills up, priority is given to children that fall in the official age range.
How long does the season run for?
The City-Wide Community Based Program runs from end-September to mid-March.
When are games played?
Games are played on Saturdays in the Saville Community Sports Centre and in gyms across Edmonton and surrounding communities any time from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. On occasion teams may play 2 games on a Saturday. There will also be occasional Friday evening games.
For A/B teams, games are played on Tuesday evenings (for boys play) and Wednesday evenings (for girls play with some Thursday evenings as well). Games will primarily take place at the Saville Community Sports Centre, however games will also be held at other gyms around the Capital Region.
What team will I be on?
Athletes can request a coach (if they know of any coaches in their division), and request to play with friends when they register. These request are taken seriously, and we make every effort to accommodate requests; however, with nearly 1000 athletes to manage, we cannot grant every request. Thank you for your understanding.
When will practices be held?
Teams will get one practice time per week (subject to gym availability). Coaches will contact athlete’s families after the coaches meeting (early Sept.) with practice time and location.
Practices start the last week of September. Earlier hours are allotted to the younger age groups, with later hours going to the older age groups. Once set, the practice time slot will generally be the same day and time each week. **Please Note: Occasionally practices will be cancelled due to events at the school, such as holiday concerts. If extra gym time is available, coaches can work with SW Basketball to get a different gym time due to cancellations.
Do I need to try out to make a team?
NO! All athletes will be placed on a team and will no one will be cut from SW Basketball.
Try outs ARE available (please indicate during online registration) for athletes in the U-13 (bantam) & U-15 (midget) divisions wishing to play on the A or B team. These take place late August/early Sept. (TBA). Any athletes who do not make an A or B team will still be placed on a team in their division.
Can I cancel my registration and get a refund?
Refunds may be granted on cancelled registrations as follows:
2019-2020 EYBA Fall/Winter League
- A full refund prior to Sept 1, 2019
- A $50 service charge may apply from Sept. 1 – 15, 2019.
- A $100 service charge may apply from Sept. 16, 2019 until the first game of the season.
- After the first game of the season no refund is guaranteed.
2019-2020 Mites Program
- A full refund prior to Sept. 1, 2019
- A $50 service charge may apply from Sept. 1, 2019 – Oct. 6, 2019
- After the first practice of the season no refund is guaranteed.
***Please inquire with us only if you have a specific question regarding refunds that is not addressed here.