Please visit the COVID Reporting page for more information on what forms are required to be filled out at what frequency. We ask that all participants and their families comply with these policies to help us stay safe!
All athletes should wear a mask as much as possible with the exception of on court gameplay or practice.
No spectators are allow at this time. Except for U11 & Mites, parents are not to enter the Saville Center to drop off their children. In this case 1 parent may accompany or retrieve the child to the court and then leave the building. **Parents are NOT allowed by Saville to spectate practices or games.**
Recognizing that COVID rules continue to change and SW Basketball receives its direction from EYBA – the Winter Season will run from Jan 8 to May 8, 2021.
We would like to share with you our plans for organizing games and teams for this upcoming Winter Season.
Practices and Games:
- At this time, due to limited gym space, it does not appear there will be capacity to run practices.
- Each team will play 8 to 9 regular length games
- Each game will be approximately 1.5 hours long, with no requirement to stay longer than your game time.
- Each team will play one game approximately every two weeks, hence the season running into May.
- Game dates are tentatively planned for Friday evenings and Saturdays.
- Again, as of now, no spectators will be allowed.
To help maintain continuity for both players and coaches, we will be working to continue with the same teams as this current Fall Season. Acknowledging there will be some players potentially leaving and some new ones coming, below is an outline of planned team organization:
- Keep players with their current coaches.
- Fall players not returning, will be replaced by registrants from the Winter Season wait list.
- If there should be teams where a significant number of players will not be returning for the Winter Season, those teams may need to be reorganized and players moved to other teams to meet the 10 player roster size.
- Going forward, SW will not be able to accommodate player transfer requests or player friend/coach requests.
**SW Basketball would like to stress that the 2020-2021 game and team arrangements are unique circumstances due to COVID-19. We remain hopeful that future years of community basketball will return back to our normal season format. **
Next Steps for Players:
If you registered ONLY for the Fall Season and now want to play for the Winter Season as well: Winter Season Registration will Open on November 22 and close on December 6, 2020. New registrants will be placed on a waitlist until a spot on a team can be confirmed.
If you registered ONLY for the Fall Season and DO NOT want to play this winter: No further action is required.
If you registered ONLY for the Winter Season and still plan to play: no action is required at this time. You will be updated on your assigned team by the end of December 2020.
If you know of anyone who wants to play the Winter Season but has not yet registered: Registrations will Open on November 22 and Close on December 6. New registrants will be placed on a waitlist until a spot on a team can be confirmed.
If you registered ONLY for the Winter Season and NO LONGER wish to play: Please contact Christy Harker (firstname.lastname@example.org) before December 6 to cancel your registration.
Dates to Remember:
November 22 – Winter Season Registration Open.
Dec. 6 – Winter Season Registration Closed. Last opportunity for those currently playing and are registered for Winter Season to confirm they will continue.
Jan. 5 – Last opportunity to receive a refund for Winter Season cancellations.
As always, we at SW Basketball appreciate your patience. We will continue to do our best in helping all players find a way to enjoy their basketball experience during these unconventional times.
This is a rapidly evolving scenario as new information is being received often. Therefore, we truly appreciate your patience and understanding as we do our best to learn and adapt.
“A Sport Cohort is currently defined as a closed, small group of no more than 50 individuals – consisting of players, officials, coaches, trainers, and/or managers who do not maintain a physical distance of 2 metres at all times from the cohort group, and who participate in the same sport or activity, and remain together for the duration of Stage 2 of the Government of Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy. Individuals may participate in only one sport cohort. Sport cohorts do not need to keep 2 metres apart however, physical distancing should be practiced when not participating on court (i.e. on sidelines, before & after activities, etc.)”
– ABA Return to Play
- athletes cannot belong to multiple cohorts… so athletes playing with SW must not be part of a cohort for another sport, or a school team (season splitting may be explored to remedy this and we will post updates if this changes)
- Team sizes will be limited to comply with guidelines
- league play will see modifications to divisions and tiers to ensure the 50 people per cohort rule can be followed
As of this moment, the Saville Sports Center is not allowing spectators for practices or games. Please be advised that we need to respect this to preserve our rental contracts. Difficult as this may be, we will respect this rule… although we are anxiously awaiting any possible changes to this!
Our athletes are insured through Basketball Alberta. There is a mandatory $17 fee collected and paid directly to Basketball Alberta upon registration.
This insurance does not cover communicable diseases; therefore, extra waivers will need to be signed in order to play during the COVID pandemic.